Ok, so she's not a baby, she's five. But Kyra is still one of my youngest, the elder of twins. Today, Kyra is at home with me, nursing a cold. A nasty cold, to be sure, but just a cold. No fever or sore ears or throat, just lots of congestion. I wanted to send Kyra to school today, even though she moped around, barely moving and telling me she felt terrible. But this morning, I received a call from her teacher. Mrs. Bridges was calling to reschedule a conference and mentioned that Kyra felt horrible yesterday, and only wanted to rest her head on the desk all day. So, feeling bad about sending her to school yesterday with the lousy cold, I kept Kyra home from school. Which is exactly what Kyra wanted. She is spending the day with me, and watching her choice of movies on the DVD.
It really isn't the same as when I was a kid, when staying home from school was more of a punishment. As a children, we spent more of the sick day in our rooms. It really got bad when the game shows ended and there was nothing to watch on tv! Unless you were deathly ill, you were usually begging to return to school the next day, skipping the no entertainment afternoons and getting to play with your friends and siblings.
It is much different for today's children. The entertainment options are legion, with more than enough DVD's to fill a day and a portable gaming device handy for when Mom decides there have been too many movies! Plus, the added incentive of being around Mom without anyone else competing for my time.
So, my daughter stays with me and watches movies all day. Her mood has improved dramatically. Better still, the sniffles have calmed down. so, Kyra will be back to school tomorrow.
And the drama? Yesterday afternoon, Kyra was playing with her sister, laughing and having a great time despite having spent the entire day at school with her head on her desk.
The heating pad in our garage fridge
10 years ago

1 comment:
All good points, Christine, although I remember staying home wasn't exactly a punishment. I did get to watch TV (my favorite: My Favorite Martian), and told Mom that when I become a mom I would watch TV all day (she laughed), but remember feeling fairly crummy, too. I don't remember actually TRYING to stay home. I do remember Kyra as a baby - high drama then, too! Sarah's also that way; sometimes I just exhale a lot (she usually can't hear me over her rant) and say, "Honestly!"
Thanks for your recent comment, by the way. I really appreciate it.
Post a Comment