Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Daily Routine

I really thought when I stopped work (temporarily) that I'd put all those photos into albums and clean out the closets and haul years of outgrown toys and clothes to Goodwill. So far, I've made one trip to Goodwill and have some things stacked up for another trip, but that's about it. Most days, I get the kids up, ready and to school, take a walk , read the newspaper and sit in front of the computer before rounding up the kids and starting the dinner parade. Other days are like yesterday, still got the kids up, ready and to school, took Alex to the orthodontist (braces off!!!!), then dropped her off at school. Came home, took care of dishes and laundry, picked up and had some lunch. Talked to my Mom for an hour, picked up the kids, fixed supper, got Kyra and Elise into shorts and shin guards for soccer and took Max to Taekwondo "graduation" where I spent three hours standing and sitting on the floor while over 100 children and adults demonstrated what they have learned thus far (they have all learned the same basic four kicks and four blocks/hits). Managed to get back home in time for Max to go to bed (thankfully, I'd had him finish his homework before we left) and slumped on the sofa watching hockey and football until I fell asleep. When I woke up, I went upstairs to turn off the computer Alex had left on after her homework, put a load of clothes in the wash (Jeff had spilled salsa on his shirt during the football watching) and went to bed. And started it all over again today. Besides the usual school routines, I've set up an online lunch money account for each child, run out for cash, picked up the dry cleaning and grabbed a bagel. Talked to a recruiter about a possible job (but the top salary is $15K below my last salary -waahaahaa), unloaded the dishwasher and started thinking about answering all my email. I still need to line up baby sitters for Thursday (Jeff out of town), Saturday (Jeff's co-worker's wedding - no idea what time) and November 1st (my friend's wedding). I must, must, must remember the teacher conference this afternoon (missed it last week and had to reschedule) so I can find out how the girls are doing in kindergarten. And somehow, I have to figure out how to get Alex to soccer at 6:00 on Thursday when Jeff is out of town and I have dinner plans at 6:30, a half hour drive away from home (and who will bring Alex home?). But, I love my family and I love my life. I can always rest later (right?).

1 comment:

Margie said...

Okay, so my question is: how do you find time to work? You're SO BUSY not working! Seriously, where DOES the time go? At least you documented the hours. I get to the end of a day and think, "What, on earth, have I done? I've been so busy!"